Friday, November 13, 2009

What's in a name?

Ever wondered the origin, the meaning, behind the names you sometimes pick for your imaginary friends, or in my case, characters for stories?  I must admit, I'm a bit obsessed.  Not only do I need to pick the perfect names for my characters, but each has a particular taste in my mouth.  Soft and sensual or strong and determined, I feel naming should not be taken likely.

Now I'm finding the hardest part is picking the appropriate surname to go with the stand out first name I've chosen.  If I weren't trying to make sure each had the same origins, maybe it wouldn't be so hard, but there's the sticker.

Lately, I've been drawn to Greek names.  Of course, I don't think about this until I go researching the meaning of the name I've picked, but they're invariably Greek.  I don't know how to fix my problem here as there seem to be no resources specific to listing Greek last names.  Should I diverge and pick something that sounds right?  I don't know, nothing but what is right gels in my mind.  Guess it's something I'll have to workaround, don't you think?  :)

Speaking of names, I had an epiphany last night.  Since the beginning of my writing, I've debated whether or not to use a pen name if I ever get to published.  I love my own name, think it suits me well, but I don't feel it would catch a reader's attention if they're skimming over shelves.  To solve this problem, I think I've picked out a eye popping one.  Of course, I've got to check on its meaning and then maybe, I'll get around to sharing.  ;)  Happy writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment